[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug 6625: Cleaner Backend: alt_doc.php Part 1

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Fri Nov 2 18:16:02 CET 2007

Hi Benni,

Benjamin Mack wrote:
> Approaching some improvements coming from the HCI head team, I took some
> time to recode parts of the header of the alt_doc.php document. Some key
> changes
>
> * Only content part is scrollable now
> * Reordering the Header-Icons according to HCI mockup
> * Content table has a dynamic width
> * Less <table>s (more improvements to come).
> * Some refactoring of a couple of functions in alt_doc.php for future
> improvements.

I had a quick look at it, and I liked it. I didn't have time to do a
full review yet though.

As far as "commit early and often" is concerned, I am against committing
this patch before it is at least semi-final, because it changes existing
files, and a too big SVN history of changing many things forth and back
in those files would decrease the overview. This is different to Ingo's
cleaner backend patch which wasn't ready yet either, but only added new
files.

Yet I would like to encourage every core developer to keep sending such
patches to the core list to get early feedback even if they're not
commit ready yet.

For the 4.3 development we should think about letting a development team
freely work in their own branch where they can commit even half-baked
things. Let's discuss this at the next core team meeting (developer days).

cheers
Ingmar

--
Ingmar Schlecht