[TYPO3-core] RFC: Getting rid of blob fields in TYPO3 databases

Patrick Broens patrick at patrickbroens.nl
Mon Mar 19 15:27:39 CET 2007

Michael Stucki wrote:
> Be careful with this change! We just discovered a problem last week which was
> caused by our BLOB to TEXT migration: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=5088
>
> Keeping blob types for some fields seems to be the quick workaround, but the
> real problem is that people who migrate their sites have probably not
> converted all tables correctly. In this case the sys_template table contained
> ISO-8859-1 characters but cache_hash.content was set to UTF-8.
>
> The long-term solution is either a conversion utility, a comparison check
> (requires additional queries) or charset conversion on TypoScript level.
>
> - michael
>
> Am Montag, 19. März 2007 10:18 schrieb Dmitry Dulepov:
>> Patrick Broens wrote:
>>> This bug is documented in
>>> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=3547
>>> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=3303
>>>
>>> Changing the BLOB to TEXT fields solve these issues.
>> Do we need anything else to do?
Stucki,

Thanks for the notification.

Seems we need to go through all BLOB fields and decide which columns
need to be changed. In the case of the bugs I'm referring to, this only
affects cache_pages.HTML. After some investigation of bug 5088, you are
referring to, cache_pages.cache_data needs to stay at MEDIUMBLOB,
because it contains TS setup serialized array.

cache_pages.HTML does only contain HTML code and needs to be changed to
MEDIUMTEXT.

Patrick