[TYPO3-core] RFC: Getting rid of blob fields in TYPO3 databases

Patrick Broens patrick at patrickbroens.nl
Fri Mar 16 16:08:44 CET 2007

Hi All,

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Michael Stucki schrieb:
>> Committed to Trunk.
>>
>> - michael
>>
>> Michael Stucki wrote:
>>
>>> This is a SVN patch request.
>>>
>>> Problem:
>>> TYPO3 uses a lot of blob fields all over the place. This is a misuse
>>> since
>>> the content is always text (no binary content at all!).
>>>
>>> Additionally, I've changed some int(11) fields to tinyint(1) because
>>> they
>>> are all just boolean :-)
>>>
>>> Solution:
>>> See patch.
>>>
>>> Branches:
>>> Trunk only
>>>
>>> Comments:
>>> Thanks to Dmitry Dulepov and Bernhard Janetzki for supporting me at
>>> this.
>>>
>>> - michael
>>
>> Committed to Trunk.
>
> There are still BLOBs in system extensions:
>
> ./typo3/sysext/cms/ext_tables-index.sql
> ./typo3/sysext/cms/ext_tables.sql
> ./typo3/sysext/cms/ext_tables_static+adt.sql
> ./typo3/sysext/dbal/ext_tables.sql
> ./typo3/sysext/sys_action/ext_tables.sql
> ./typo3/sysext/indexed_search/ext_tables.sql
> ./typo3/sysext/impexp/ext_tables.sql
> ./typo3/sysext/tsconfig_help/ext_tables.sql
> ./typo3/sysext/tsconfig_help/ext_tables_static+adt.sql
>
> Shall we change them too? Note that there is a bu report for FE sessions
> (#4628).
The changes of the BLOBs in the system extensions were never committed.
I ran into a bug with utf-8 and BLOB fields in the table cache_pages
which could be a MySQL bug. At least MySQL is behaving strange when
converting binary text from BLOB field.

This bug is documented in
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=3547
http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=3303

Changing the BLOB to TEXT fields solve these issues.

+1

Patrick