[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug 5678: Missing clearer div in csc-textpic-intext-left/csc-textpic-intext-right

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Jun 4 21:10:13 CEST 2007

Oliver Hader wrote: on 04.06.2007 09:33:

>> +-----+
>> | img |  Text for block #1 with img-left, ends here.
>> | img |                                     +-----+
>> | img |  Text for block #2 (img-right)      | img |
>> +-----+                                     | img |
>> Text for next block continues here and goes | img |
>> goes on...                                  +-----+
>> and on... and on... and on... and on... and on...
>> and on...
>>
>> Of course having two img-left images will break if text is short. But
>> then the editor can choose in-text-nowrap...

> I was wondering that this issue was not reported/solved before, now I
> know the reason - thanks for the hint.
> But this behaviour is one thing that isn't really intuitive to editors.
> It's not easy to tell customers about these "special cases" and to
> communicate the reason why they have to select something (here:
> "in-text-nowrap") when something else (here: "texte shorter than image
> height") is present.
>
> Maybe it's possible to introduce a setting via e.g. constant editor that
> makes it configurable in a simple way for the site-admin. If this
> setting is enabled, the "clearers" are used.
>
> What do you think? Shall we change (improve) this behaviour or let this
> untouched as it is?

I find it hard to leave that untouched when so many people (even
experienced developers) stumble over the same problem over and over.
So I tend to agree that this needs to be optimized. Adding a constant
that adds the clearer in those two cases seems to be the simplest way.
I am not sure if more will complaint if we change the default behaviour
in future versions, so having that as default=true in compatVersion 4.1
only is also ok for me.

Cheers,
Ernesto