[TYPO3-core] RFC: performance improvemenets for database

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Jan 29 09:19:38 CET 2007

Hi!

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> This is SVN patch request.
>
> This patch was posted long time ago. Part of is by Masi, part by me.
> Corresponding thread is named "RFC: improving index of sys_template" and
> dates back to 04.10.2006.
>
> Generally, there are two things there:
> - default engine type is changed to InnoDB, which makes many queries to
> run much faster. Unline MyISAM, InnoDb does not lock records for reading
> when someone writes to records. After changing engine type I found that
> I do not get "Waiting for lock on..." anymore. Also InnoDb is much more
> error-resistant. I had several crashes for MyISAM and none for InnoDb so
> far.
> - There are new indexes that speed up certain operations in BE&FE. See
> details in that old thread.

Committed to trunk.

Michael, please update installation instructions (doc_inst_upgr). New
paragraph is needed:

"Starting from version 4.1 TYPO3 uses InnoDB as database engine for
several tables. This helps to prevent locks and increase performance.
Also InnoDB is more crash-resistant comaring to MyISAM. We recommend to
review your MySQL configuration and ensure that your table space has
"autoexpand" option enabled. See MySQL manual for more information about
configuring InnDB. If you do not have InnoDB enabled, MySQL will use
MyISAM automatically and you need not take any actions"

I think it can go to section 2.1 before "Very Important: Changing...".

--
Dmitry Dulepov

Web: http://typo3bloke.net/
Skype: callto:liels_bugs