[TYPO3-core] Call for volunteers: Reviewing patch integrating "ter_update_check"

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Jan 26 10:38:53 CET 2007

Hi!

Ingmar Schlecht wrote:
> as I don't have the time at the moment to do it myself, I would just
> like to say, that there's a cool patch lying around in the bugtracker
> integrating the ter_update_check Extension (it's one of the Exts from
> the list at http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Extensions_for_the_core).

Yes, it is good :)

> It would be great if someone could mentor the Core integration of that
> patch by giving feedback to Christian Welzel <gawain at camlann.de> about
> what could be improved and finally sending the patch to this list.

There are several really minor things with this patch.

Firsts, I did not like is that it goes to check TER immediately when I
select option from select box. Other TER screens do not work this way:
they do not perform actions immediately but explain what they will do
and user needs to press a button to actually start it. In my opinion the
same should be here because (1) it will be consistent and (2) network
operations can be lengthy and not desirable at the moment.

Second, I did not understand what "Get version info from repository"
means, so avoided pressing it. It needs inline explanation and shorter
button title. I guest it is similar to "Retrieve/Update" on the "Import"
screen?

Third, I would like to avoid word abbreviations like "dev" or "info".
These are not correct English words and they do not appear in core. We
have quite good English there.

Forth, I would prefer to put three checkboxes in the middle before their
labels. When aligned, they usually look better.

Otherwise patch works good and output looks impressive. If those minor
things are fixed, I am ready to test/post it and vote for it.

> The feature freeze for 4.1 is scheduled for Monday, 5th February, but it
> would be better to have such things in before already, otherwise the
> risk of bugs in the RC gets too high.

Agreed.

--
Dmitry Dulepov