[TYPO3-core] "contrib" vs system extensions

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Feb 12 13:11:41 CET 2007

Hi!

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> in the discussion to include PEAR in typo3/contrib/ we in the core team
> agreed that this is an extension, thus should reside in
> typo3conf/ext/pear and have its local data stored in typo3conf/tx_pear.
>
> Now in ECT the argument came why aren't json, prototype and
> scriptaculous system extensions? There is an extension called
> "scriptaculous" in TER (from Joerg Schoppet, a member from ECT that
> brought up that argument). Maybe we could upgrade this to a sysext and
> remove it from contrib?

I think the answer is "no" because those "contrib" libraries are
directly used by the core (PEAR is not!). Personally I do not like when
core requires extension (even sysext!). It should be the other way round.

> We created "contrib" for the purpose of being able to maintain those 3rd
> party source codes independently from our TYPO3 source, and I cannot
> think why those could not be moved to system extensions, for the sake of
> consistency.

Due to the reason above, so -1. Otherwise why cannot we move something
else to extension? Say, t3lib_div?.. Sounds strange, right?

System extensions are there for historical reasons and I remember that
there was an idea to make them part of the core (at least some of them)
but it was just easier to keep them as is. I see no need to artificially
move libraries to extensions, load those extensions dynamically, mark
them as REQ and so on. Let's keep it simple.

If one wants PEAR, make it an extension. Core does not need PEAR. But
core needs json and others, so keep them as libraries, not as extensions.

--
Dmitry Dulepov

Web: http://typo3bloke.net/
Skype: callto:liels_bugs