[TYPO3-core] "contrib" vs system extensions

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Feb 12 12:56:55 CET 2007

Hi,

in the discussion to include PEAR in typo3/contrib/ we in the core team
agreed that this is an extension, thus should reside in
typo3conf/ext/pear and have its local data stored in typo3conf/tx_pear.

Now in ECT the argument came why aren't json, prototype and
scriptaculous system extensions? There is an extension called
"scriptaculous" in TER (from Joerg Schoppet, a member from ECT that
brought up that argument). Maybe we could upgrade this to a sysext and
remove it from contrib?

We created "contrib" for the purpose of being able to maintain those 3rd
party source codes independently from our TYPO3 source, and I cannot
think why those could not be moved to system extensions, for the sake of
consistency.

Mark the dependencies so that we see why they are needed. For example
scriptaculous needed by alt_main_new (couldn't this be an extension
too??). json.php I cannot find any reference to that file in the
typo3-source. Is this obsolete already? And prototype needed by
alt_db_navframe.php, alt_file_navframe.php and alt_main_new.php.

Cheers,
Ernesto