[TYPO3-core] RFC: Multimedia in "Text w. Image" / Feature #6840

Georg Ringer mail-spam at ringerge.org
Fri Dec 7 10:42:13 CET 2007

Benjamin Mack schrieb:
> * Why do we need this? The thing is called "Text w/ Image" but this is
> totally unintuitive that you can use "Multimedia" as an image as well.
> So maybe we should think about a different name "Text w/ Image or Video"
> or so, but I don't like that either.

What about "Text with media"

> So, ok. I see the benefits of using Text w/ Image with Multimedia
> objects (I mean, we now can move it inline in the nice right upper
> corner of a text), but if this is possible, it means we could also use
> the "Images" CType to use Multimedia as well to have a general "Images
> and Media" field.

yeah why not. But the patch is not only for videos or mp3s or flashs but
you can place there so much more which is not an image. Just some
examples: Adsense or general JS or anything else you wanna place there,
could even be an extension.
Therefore the patch is needed to give all these items a correct place
because the space is needed to calculate all the divs

> This raises the question why there's a Multimedia CType but we shouldn't
> use it since there are better things out there now ("Text /w Image and
> Video" ;-)). This is the same issue with the "Table" element since I
> tell my editors to use the RTE for this too as it is more flexible.

Should I really count all things which are kind of depricated in TYPO3?

As written above, the patch is not just for me but to enable many things
you could do

> Therefore I propose to either find a good solution to bring Multimedia
> back in the game or set the "Multimedia" object to deprecated and remove
> it with 4.4 (or earlier if there is a good upgrade-path to move this
> CType to the TER).

IMO cObj MULTIMEDIA is a complete other thing but of course this could
be rewritten using e.g. a Flash Player or anything else but this needs a
  real discussion somewhere else.

Georg
PS: I got already great feedback for the rgmediaimages, so I will
release it anyway.