[TYPO3-core] RFC: #6784: new sysext fe_login

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Thu Dec 6 12:02:35 CET 2007

Hi Patrick,

Patrick Gaumond wrote:
> 1. The documentation of the popular (159 000 downloads!) newloginbox
> should state that from TYPO3 4.2, the loginbox was replaced and
> newloginbox from TER not necessary on new installation.
>
> 2. Someone must contact provider of all those "redirect" login extension
>   so they mention that a new standard extension does the job if people
> want to go "the core way".
>
> 3. The documentation of the new sysext must clearly say that newloginbox
> is now replced by this one and will not be maintain in the future.

Of course. We were going to do these things anyway.

> I got a question already. Is this new extension fully compatible with
> newloginbox and if yes why not use the key newloginbox and then make it
> a sysext and available thru the dropdowm?

The reasons for not calling the new extension newloginbox were:
  - The new felogin extension only contains the pi1 of newloginbox which
    is the login, and does not contain the pi3, which is the user
    listing plugin. The latter will be moved into a new extension called
    "feuserlisting" by Stefan Strasser.
  - Newloginbox is a bad name, as it is not very "speaking". You need to
    know the history of TYPO3 to understand why it is called
    newloginbox. So "felogin" is just the better extkey.

Any reviews? Detailed, if possible.

cheers
Ingmar

--