[TYPO3-core] RFC: #6784: new sysext fe_login

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Dec 4 16:12:57 CET 2007

Bernhard Kraft wrote: on 04.12.2007 15:27:

> I strongly opt for removing those static templates !

Yes, I had this project in my mind even for 4.2 but never commited to it
officially because of lack of time.

My idea was:

a) move all shipped static templates to a sysext (cms_obsolete)

b) make a working upgrade path so that when one of these old templates
(e.g. "content (default)") is being used, the upgrade wizard installs
this extension and moves the static templates to "static templates from
extension".

The main problem is makeing b) "right", so that old sites still work
when upgrading. We have to make sure that there are no more dependencies
that might break (e.g. addPItoST43). And we have to make sure the order
or inclusion of these templates is "right" in all potential situations.

But I think it is doable. But by whom? :)

> 1* The are outdated table designs (we could replace them by nice CSS
> designs
> from www.oswd.org
>
> 2* The method of having static TS defining a site is not required
> anymore since
> we could simply package complete sites as T3D export file
>
> 3* It is a mess to adopt those static templates to your own needs - and
> gives
> newbies the feeling that T3 "is" just those static templates ...
>
> Probably we should create some "task force" which aim it is to create
> T3D files (or extensions) for the use of having a replacement of those
> static
> templates by modern CSS/DIV designs (either by using open-source designs or
> designs from people who are willing to share their work with the
> community.)
>
> I always tought somethink like the Template-Repository from Joomla would be
> something nice for T3 - where such a part is really missing !!!!

These new tasks are of course also very nice, but I have seen people
talk about this for years and noone seems to be wanting to invest their
time in it. Maybe take a look at http://yaml.t3net.de/ and integrate
that into core for a start?

Cheers,
Ernesto