[TYPO3-core] Kickoff: TYPO3 4.1 (suggestions)

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Tue Sep 12 11:02:02 CEST 2006

Hi!

Michael Stucki wrote:
> We're talking about a framework which will be integrated in the core because
> that will depend on it. This will be used by a few people only, so Kasper (=
> HCI leader) surely knows who is going to work with it.

Michael, how you can be sure that only core will use it? We have
t3lib_ajax and when that appeared in cvs, people already started asking
about it and tried to use it. Anything that gets into core is seen as
the best or recommended. Ajax is very popular, so if ajax library gets
in, it means we carefully evaluated it for typo3 in general and
recommend it to others too.

> Other frameworks can still be used as extensions (like Elmar did with xaJax).
> There is no conflict with this of course.

Extension is not core. You know that there are many blog, wiki and
guestbook extensions around. They all have similar weight. But anything
in the core automatically beats anything in extension just because it is
in the core.

> So your requirements is only PHP integration and nothing more? I doubt that
> this is enough... (again: no discussion here please, use the HCI list for
> further feedbacks)

I did not say this. Using xajax is much easier for PHP programmers: they
do not need to write both PHP and JS code, they need to write only PHP.
For prototype you have to write both. This is disadvantage of prototype.
Xajax guaranties that code will run on all platforms. For prototype you
have to ensure that. We already had troubles with Ajax popup menu nit
working in MSIE (89% of all Internet users!). If anyone wants checking
JS on all browsers/platforms - he can do it if course but I do not see
it as optimal spending of resources.

Prototype has its advantages but since we program in PHP, xajax *could*
(I do not say "will"!) suite us better.

Did anyone make evaluation of different frameworks *before* starting
work with prototype? If no, this is bad. This is not a professional
approach. If yes, what were criterias and where I can see results?

--
Dmitry Dulepov
http://typo3bloke.net/