[TYPO3-core] Approving patches

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Oct 27 09:28:27 CEST 2006

Hi!

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> On a short term (for 4.1) what can we do? Could everyone please give
> their reasons to not respond or maybe post your commitment to review
> some patches?

I am trying to review at least some of them but I have only Windows test
environment at the moment, so this is not really good.

> On a long term my plan is this:
>
> - All patches (for bugs or features) go through the bug-tracker

Excellent! We can keep ChangeLog short and always refer to detailed
description in bug tracker.

> - Anyone can post a patch there

This happens already now, so good to.

> - A group of people larger than today are allowed to give "+1"s to
> patches. This group is made up by recommendations coming from us

Please, add Ben from netcreators to the list. He *is* trusted!

This approach can have some problems. Exanple is bug about
simulateStatic that is discussed for ages (cannot make link from one
domain to another and use simulateStatic). All current approaches are
wrong (because they do not take into account that setup of a different
domain can be without simulateStatic) but correct approach affects
performance too much. However people want to use that wrong approach. If
they get enough +1s, this wrong thing can get into core and make core
behave improperly.

So there is a little risk in this approach.

> - A smaller group has SVN access and their job is to blindly commit the
> patches as they have reached enough "+1"s. The responsibility of the
> committer is to make sure he doesn't mess up SVN and that only
> "+1"-approved patches goes there. It is not his responsibility if the
> patch was bad - that will reflect back on those who approved it!

I do not think it gives any advantage. All core team members should be
able to commit.

> Inside this system there are karma-based incentives; People get points
> for approving, committing etc. and can equally loose points if they make
> shit (and others can earn points if they fix the shit!).

I am neutral to this.

--
Dmitry Dulepov

Web: http://typo3bloke.net/