[TYPO3-core] Approving patches

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Thu Oct 26 22:42:09 CEST 2006

Hi Folks,

In a separate thread, how can we address the problem of "+1"s not given?

On a short term (for 4.1) what can we do? Could everyone please give
their reasons to not respond or maybe post your commitment to review
some patches?

On a long term my plan is this:

- All patches (for bugs or features) go through the bug-tracker
- Anyone can post a patch there
- A group of people larger than today are allowed to give "+1"s to
patches. This group is made up by recommendations coming from us (fx.
Ingmar recommends Batman who recommends Robin and Pinguin, Pinguin
recommends catwoman and her 5 girlfriends. They are all allowed to
give "+1"s.). Recommendations happen through software so we can
always track the chain. Ingmar can cut of Batman if it turns out that
Catwoman and her friends poohs in the source - so in this way there
is always a reflections of bad work back in the chain.
- A patch still requires X number of "+1"s to get into the core.
These are given through the bug-tracker in the future, not the
mailing list (so we can track who approved something).
- A smaller group has SVN access and their job is to blindly commit
the patches as they have reached enough "+1"s. The responsibility of
the committer is to make sure he doesn't mess up SVN and that only
"+1"-approved patches goes there. It is not his responsibility if the
patch was bad - that will reflect back on those who approved it!

Inside this system there are karma-based incentives; People get
points for approving, committing etc. and can equally loose points if
they make shit (and others can earn points if they fix the shit!).

What I hope to obtain is a more automated approach to core
contributions but still keeping control. If we can finetune this
system to fit reality it will balance in itself. People can get more
or less active in periods without affecting our overall output
because the crowd of "patch-approvers" are in the hundreds, not tens.

What do you think? (Please treat it as an overall idea that is still
a theory)

- kasper

"Necessity is the mother of invention"
kasper2006 at typo3.com | +45 20 999 115 | skype: kasperskaarhoej |