[TYPO3-core] Commits to SVN

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Thu Oct 26 22:29:18 CEST 2006

> Wouldn't it make sense to combine some of those requests into one
> request? Anyway, I guess I'll have a deeper look into the code you
> wrote
> and then make detailed suggestions based on the code.

Yes, it probably would, but it needs some architecture to do it. This
is why:

The menu/icon/whatever bar contains "applications" registered by
extensions.
Each application is inserted with a placeholder DIV. The content is
requested via AJAX calling a normal backend module which just returns
an HTML snippet. The reason for using AJAX was to offer the
applications a way to update themselves - fx. as the clock does
(which is in fact just a gimmick).

The backend would load faster if all these applications had an
interface to deliver their HTML right away while alt_main_new.php
builds itself. I guess I just have to make that...

>> Secondly, the "alt_main_new.php" for the HCI menu bar and stuff.
>
> As for the naming of the file, my preferred name would be "main.php",
> instead of ng_main.php, because some day I'm sure the AJAX backend is
> used by most of the users, and then it's sensible to call the mainly
> used one "main.php" and the rarely used alternative "alt_main.php".
>
> (I know that in the old days main.php was used for the mostly
> JavaScript
> based backend, but who cares? :-) )

We could call it anything, I don't care. "main.php"? is that it?

The thing is more; do we need a selector in the login box or some
preference that decides it for users which backend they use?

>> Ingmar, what is the release plan?
>
> The last date that we talked about in the Planning 4.1 thread was mid
> November for a release, however, I think we should wait a little
> longer
> than that, so at least some of the things on people's T3DD
> wishlists are
> done.
>
> One of the things that's still cooking is the "Inline relational
> record
> editing" diploma project by Oliver Hader (see [1], [2]), and I'd
> really
> love to get this into trunk before 4.1 comes out.
>
> Status of the other projects:
> - Improved Extension Manager (less memory consumption, faster)
>    -> Bernhard made an XCLASS extension for testing. It just needs to
>       be sent to the core list as an RFC.
>
> - BE ACLs into the Core
>    -> Sebastian Kurfürst is busy with University, so it's delayed.
> Maybe
>       he can give an estimate on when he thinks this will be ready.
>
> - New Install Tool
>    -> Michael Scharkow was working on this. How's the status?
>
> - UTF-8 by default
>    -> Martin Kutschker has been working on UTF-8 for filenames, but I
>       think there's nothing going on at the moment to make UTF-8
>       default. Anyone wants to opt in?
>
> - Complete DAM Integration
>    -> Dropped due to Rupert's estimation that DAM is still too bugy to
>       risk making it a default sysext.
>
> Bottomline is:
>
> I think it makes sense to wait for the HCI stuff to be finished,
> before
> we release 4.1.

Thanks for the overview.

I agree, its a kind of defeat if there is no usability news in 4.1.
So if everything else is delayed as well, lets wait for it.

I'm just saying that in my end things are dependent on many things;
My TYPO3.org involvement, podcasting, client involvement in my HCI
work, general confusion and so on.

> I'd propose a feature freeze on 15. November (is that enough time for
> the HCI stuff?) and have the release two weeks later. What do you guys
> think?

We will have to see. The HCI stuff could be very interesting since I
have some good contacts, but it could also be delayed unacceptably. I
will have to tell you in some weeks ! :-(

Thanks for keeping the head clear for us, Ingmar!

- kasper