[TYPO3-core] SVN F#%&up

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Nov 29 20:28:58 CET 2006

Hi Kasper,

> Revision 1820 to 1834 in the TYPO3core is a lot of desparate
> deletions I did of files in the gfx/ folder and scriptaculous folder.
> They should all be reverted. Here is the story:

I will take care of this tonight or tomorrow morning. Will report back when
it's done. Until then, please NOBODY commit any changes to SVN (just to be
sure).

> I did this, because my eclipse on the Mac consistently failed
> checking out the core, choking over some of these files, however not
> the same file all the time. To me it looked like a problem with the
> files in this folder. Since those folders are almost never updated I
> decided to delete files from them until eclipse would check out the
> whole core and then I would add them again by reveting.

I might have asked you already, but can't remember: Did you ever try to use
the commandline client instead of the Eclipse plugin? After all I must say
that it is so easy to be used, that I even prefer it over kdesvn (something
like cervisia for Subversion). Please try, and tell me how it works.

Additionally, I wonder if it's possible that I will send you a checked out
version including the .svn directories. Andreas, would this contain any
user-specific information? Probably this would be a good kickstart for your
system, and updating would work fine after that...?

> Unfortunately eclipse decided that gfx/ was not the only place it
> found problems, so I have given up on this attempt. And I'm left with
> no way to revert it since I have no working checkout of the core!!

If nothing helps, we may investigate this tomorrow on Skype if you like.

> At this point I am obviously very frustrated and it might very well
> be all my fault but until someone can clearly explain why its my
> fault it is SVNs fault which means SVN is unreliable and wasting my
> time with weird games and we should go back to CVS as soon as possible.

Honestly, but this is out of question. I would rather offer to commit changes
for you instead of switching back to CVS - or buy you a real computer! ;-)

> In the short term I would like to ask Andreas or stucki to revert my
> changes (I assume this is very easy with something good as SVN) and
> let me know when done, then I will check if all is exactly as when I
> left it.

I will do.

> In the long term I need help with Eclipse on my mac to get this
> working and if no one can give it, I want CVS back.

Good point! I also need some help with Eclipse :-) Still working with
commandline client and kate as the editor - and still pretty happy with it.

- michael