[TYPO3-core] PHP version requirement?

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Fri Nov 24 18:24:48 CET 2006

Michael Stucki schrieb:
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
>>> I remember there were something but cannot find it anymore. At least I
>>> remember that we still support mysql 3.23 :)
>> I do only recall we "support" a version of 4.1.x, but don't know the exact
>> x.
>
> You mean MySQL, right? I didn't search for MySQL yet but think that we just
> stopped to support the 3.x series.

Can you point me where this has been said? Could t be that this has been
  done in an offline discussion?

I think the "world" assumes that TYPO3 4,0 works with Mysql 3.23.

>>> Seems like requirements should be clarified. I would vote for
>>> PHP4.3.x/MySQL4.1 for 4.0.x and PHP5/MySQL4.1 for 4.1.
>> As 4.0.0 was supposed to work with PHP4.1 I wouldn't change that now (No
>> surprises policy!!!!). But I'm happy if 4.1 requires PHP4.3.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems we already raised this requirement since parts of
> the EM require functions which are not available before PHP 4.2...

Really? Well, it doesn't bother too many users then at least I have not
heard of too many complaints concerning PHP 4.1 ;-)

OTOH I think that I have heard from users sticking to Mysql 3.23.

So to me this looks like a broken promise (EM) regarding PHP 3.1 (can
this be fixed with a compatibility layer? how much effort would be
needed?) and doubtful state of Mysql support.

Why don't we make it clear for 4.1 that we expect PHP 4.3 and Mysql 4.0
(or we 4.1 if there is a good reason), but to resolve no brainer issues
for PHP 3.1 and Mysql 3.23 if any need should arise?

Masi