[TYPO3-core] RFC: #2278 -

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Tue Nov 7 15:12:13 CET 2006

Hi Dmitry,

> Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> > I disagree. A new hook certainly doesn't have the potential to break
> > anything in 4.0.x, as the added code does nothing that 4.0.x without the
> > code wouldn't to.
>
> Really? But this new hook allows one plugin to disallow access and the
> next to allow it again. Is this good? Are you sure this cannot break
> anything?

I think it does not make much sense to discuss this if you do not see the
difference here.

A hook enables to act, but it does not act automatically. That was the main
difference which I tried to point out.

I agree with Martin that there is no difference between a new hook and a new
TypoScript property as long as it is not automatically used. But we refused
several changes because of this rule, and that's why you are probably right
and we should not make an exception here. That's simply consequent.

My proposal was to have hooks as some kind of a compromise, just like adding
the XCLASS clause to the end of a script. It changes nothing but helps to
change things. In return, users of this hook will not have to wait for the
next version branch.

Since most of you (except Ernesto?) seem not to like this, I will only apply
them to the Trunk version.

- michael