[TYPO3-core] CVS Problems

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Fri May 19 09:57:44 CEST 2006

Sebastian Kurfuerst wrote:

> When clicking "view tickets" I first have to select the view I want to
> have. To me, this is completely superfluous - I wanna view the bugs -
> not think about what "view" I need now.

Same for mantis, I have to choose my view or view all (which happens to
not display all bugs because it remembers my last filter settings...

> Then, I have the list, by
> default ordered by priority - which I dislike - I want to have it as it
> is, I wanna see changed issues on top, and they should be marked
> somehow, too as I wanna stay informed.

This is trivial to change and just an opinionated decision of the trac
fellows because it does seem more reasonable to sort issues by urgency
than by date...

> Btw - I am not sure, is it possible to have a detailed user-rights
> management like we have with mantis? That is a big benefit IMO... And I
> didn't check how different projects work in _one_ trac installation - I
> didn't see how it should be easily possible - not talking about
> different categorys per project or nested projects.

Hm, I don't really see the point of nested projects et al. but different
projects are possible if you use the components feature. But most
probably we'd need to trac instances for TYPO3core and all the extensions.

> I hope this is not seen as a rant against trac, but I think mantis is
> for such a big project like TYPO3 just much better suited.
>> I hope your exams are going well.

I do tend to find our mantis installation overly complex because of the
fragmentation into sub-projects and categories which seem to irritate
users, and the filtering UI is horrible (is it use filter, save filter,
apply filter, and why is one button next to the search box?)... And why
are the RSS feeds not working?

I also wonder if we really need the administrational overhead of so many
roles and permissions...

Okay, I'll stop ranting now.

Have a nice weekend, y'all.

Michael