[TYPO3-core] [Noise] Google releases AJAX toolkit

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Thu May 18 17:02:47 CEST 2006

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
>>Hm, I don't see the point. Why should I program in Java if the plattform
>>is Javascript.
>

> It is easy (just what came to my mind immediately but I can find more!):
> 1. If you program in JavaScript directly, you have to care about
> cross-browser support
> 2. There are good support for objects in JavaScript, only ugly hack that
> represents objects through function
> 3. You have to care about interacting with server code (convert objects,
> etc)
>
> Using GWT, you do not have to care about it:
> - you do not think about browsers at all
> - you pass normal strictly typed objects
> - you can exchange native data between client and server code
> - GWT takes care about translation between JS and J
> - GWT takes care about cross-browser code
> - You can use powerful Eclipse debugger with stack traces, watches,
> display, inspect, step back, etc.

Ok.

So what it comes down to is a fancy Java2Javascript compiler with a
built-in server-side lib (Java) and client-side lib (Javascript). I guess
you have to restrict yourself to those Java constructs (syntax) and classes
that are portable (to Javascript) and have a Javascript implementation (for
the client).

I see only an advantage if you're a Java progammer. If you're a Javascript
dude you know all the browser issues and have written all the X-browser
stuff yourself already ;-)

Nah, of course it's nice to work with Eclipse. That is if you trust the
compiler and the JS lib :-)

Masi