[TYPO3-core] Correction to charset setting in t3lib_htmlmail

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Mon May 1 19:00:47 CEST 2006

Stanislas Rolland <stanislas.rolland at fructifor.ca> writes on
Mon, 01 May 2006 15:50:04 +0200 (METDST):

> Peter Niederlag a écrit :
>
>> .metaCharset is just used for telling the browser which charset is
>> used (html-tag, xml-prologue, http-header), while .renderChrset
>> actually does a conversion.
>
> Then, it makes sense for t3lib_htmlmail to use metaCharset to set the
> mail headers, does it not?

Yes, but there is one problem: the conversion from renderCharset to metaCharset is done automatically after the page generation. But in the case of mail it is up to the calling code to do that.

The thing is if you use TYPO3 API calls (FE) they will assume renderCharset. So any strings or file will be in that charset. Fine so far, but if metaCharset comes into play now the conversion should take place. But I don't think it is a very good idea to do a autoconversion on all or some text parts of the mail. It will lead to confusion.

So I think the most reasonable default is renderCharset. If somebody wants anything else he should take care fo that and set htmlmail's charset and do the appropriate conversion.

Masi