[TYPO3-core] Announcing TYPO3 4.0 Release Candidate 2

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Fri Mar 31 01:05:22 CEST 2006

Hi Martin and Karsten,

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> I prefer changing shipped templates

Shipped templates are already changed, that's not the problem.

> and making a strong announcement in the release statement about it.

The real problem is, that a lot of people might have references to
media/ in their custom template, I guess stuff from media/ is used in
most TYPO3 websites. So why make the upgrade process so complicated as
to require people to go through all templates to check if there are
references to media/ if we could solve the whole problem with one single
line of code?

All those things like Newsletter subscription and FE User registration
will break because of media/fe_adminLib.inc and G/TMENU_LAYERS will
break, too (as written by Kasper in his mail from today).

IMHO we should have one release in the future to break backwards
compatibility in, but I see no reason to make 4.0 such a release.

If you are keen, you could implement a check for compatVersion there,
but TYPO3 should *at least* accept references to media/ when it runs in
3.8 compatibility mode.

But I think your time is better spent on reviewing Ernesto's CSS imgtext
patch wich *must* enter the core before 4.0, than to spend time on
disabling the media/ path resolving based on compatVersion.

cheers,
Ingmar