[TYPO3-core] The XML tags of FlexForm data

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Wed Mar 15 10:25:05 CET 2006

Hi Kasper and Dmitry,

On Wednesday, 15. March 2006 09:41, Kasper Skårhøj wrote:

 > > When you say "could be validated" you mean validate with DTD or
 > > schema right? How important it is for typo3?
 >
 > Not at all, only buzzword compliance and being tired of people
 > nagging about this. The main point is that array2xml/xml2array can
 > change the XML into a workable structure in PHP.

I don't care about validation either but a good and important effect it has is
that we can use SimpleXML features like XPath for future PHP5 extensions when
dealing with Flexform XML. An example from my testcase:

$flexform = simplexml_load_string ($testPageRecord['tx_templavoila_flex']);
$xpathRes =
$flexform->xpath("//data/sheet[@index='sDEF']/language[@index='lDEF']/field[@index='field_content']/vDEF");

 > > Do you plan to create such DTD or schema? If not, there is no reason to
 > > change well-formed to valid. Also validation will decrease parsing time
 > > for xml and _may_ decrease significantly if schema is complex.
 > Other opinions?

see above. Validation is not neccessary and a schema (I'd prefer Relax-NG)
would be a bonus feature. But still well-formed XML has advantages in other
areas, too.

 > > Another question is about data structures in TemplaVoila. Does this
 > > change in any way affects DSes? Will old DSes be compatible with 4.0?
 > > Many DSes are modified manually, so this is important issue.
 > > Rebuilding
 > > DSes with thousands of lines is not good. I see no obvious problems
 > > with
 > > DSes because they are just another XML but it should be taken into
 > > account as well.
 >
 > Not affected, this is only about the XML of a flexform field data.

As mentioned, only extensions which access the XML directly are affected. For
example the extension "eu_tradvoila" won't work anymore - but that's no
problem because it was a bit of a hack and the functionality is included in
TV 0.6.0 anyway.

 > You are right. the "before" image is one of my "incomplete"
 > flavouring. still it makes it possible to see the improvements in
 > comparison. I'm waiting for what Robert says.

Let's take the risk of breaking someone's extension and go the full flavoured
way. Then we're done with it ... for now.

robert

--
Robert Lemke
TYPO3 Association - Research & Development