[TYPO3-core] The XML tags of FlexForm data

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Wed Mar 15 09:41:26 CET 2006

> Old structure was well-formed xml. In fact what is changed now -
> <field_hello> becomes <field index="hello"> (why "index" and not
> "id" or
> "name", which is more common for xml?).

array2xml/xml2array technicality: If "index" holds a value that is
used for array key, otherwise the tag name itself.

> When you say "could be validated" you mean validate with DTD or
> schema,
> right? How important it is for typo3?

Not at all, only buzzword compliance and being tired of people
nagging about this. The main point is that array2xml/xml2array can
change the XML into a workable structure in PHP.

> Do you plan to create such DTD or
> schema? If not, there is no reason to change well-formed to valid.
> Also
> validation will decrease parsing time for xml and _may_ decrease
> significantly if schema is complex.

Other opinions?

> Another question is about data structures in TemplaVoila. Does this
> change in any way affects DSes? Will old DSes be compatible with 4.0?
> Many DSes are modified manually, so this is important issue.
> Rebuilding
> DSes with thousands of lines is not good. I see no obvious problems
> with
> DSes because they are just another XML but it should be taken into
> account as well.

Not affected, this is only about the XML of a flexform field data.

>> My suggestion is that we go with the complete flavoured XML as I made
>> it. Then it is done, over and out. Further I actually took the
>> chance to
>> introduce an option in TYPO3_CONF_VARS which will ignore the
>> flavouring;
>> this is essentially a switch for backwards compatibility for those
>> who
>> like.
>
> This is good :)

Actually I thought: is it? It will only be _locally_ good. For
instance we cannot accept public extensions that require this flag to
be set of course!

>> Here I show what the XML looks like _before_ (<4.0) and _after_ (my
>> suggested configuration for 4.0):
>
> I afraid "prior" picture is wrong. There were no <field> tags but
> <field_header>, <field_image>, etc.

You are right. the "before" image is one of my "incomplete"
flavouring. still it makes it possible to see the improvements in
comparison. I'm waiting for what Robert says.

- kasper

> Dmitry.
> - --
> "It is our choices, that show what we truly are,
> far more than our abilities." (A.P.W.B.D.)

- kasper

"A contribution a day keeps the fork away"