[TYPO3-core] The XML tags of FlexForm data

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Wed Mar 15 09:02:26 CET 2006

Hi folks,

In version 4.0 robert and I decided to "flavour" the XML tags used in
FlexForm XML. Yesterday, I discovered that this flavouring is "buggy"
when a structure is deeper than the first level. So I actually
improved it to a complete state. The question is now if we should
change this at this point.

First, lets underline that this "flavouring" is only _cosmetic_ as
long as you are using t3lib_div::xml2array() to parse FlexForm data.

However, Robert told me that some users were parsing the XML by
themselves. Therefore our first attempt to make the XML look better
broke some external installations. Robert and I decided that we would
do it this one time because the advantage was XML which could be
validated (rather than having sDEF, lDE, vRU and field_myHeader
tags!). But now it turns out that this improved XML should either be
complete (like I did now) or rejected altogether (to not spoil
existing external parser routines). And I think this superceeds the
RC as a "bug" because it will be important to settle for the one or
the other _NOW_.

My suggestion is that we go with the complete flavoured XML as I made
it. Then it is done, over and out. Further I actually took the chance
to introduce an option in TYPO3_CONF_VARS which will ignore the
flavouring; this is essentially a switch for backwards compatibility
for those who like.

Here I show what the XML looks like _before_ (<4.0) and _after_ (my
suggested configuration for 4.0):

- kasper