[TYPO3-core] The installer, the charset and the DB

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Fri Jun 30 10:36:03 CEST 2006

Dmitry Dulepov schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> Michael Stucki wrote:
>
>> Who is using 3.23 anymore? Maybe we should wait until Debian ends
>> support of Woody. I'm not 100% sure but think that all major
>> distributions switched to 4.x more than two years ago. (MySQL 4.0 was
>> released in March 2003)
>
> There are still servers out there who use PHP 4.2.x and MySQL 3.23. But
> this is not a reason to stay with such old versions. It only complicates
> code updates.

So why don't we switch to PHP 5.1 right now? Seriously, we have a plan to
do a migration to newer software for 5.0 and I really think it sucks when I
have use UTF-8 just because some TYPO3 devs think it is so cool.

>> How did you convert your DB? According to Peter this works pretty easy
>> using "mysqldump" and "mysql --charset utf8".

I do a dump and then use "recode" using windows-1252 as source charset. You
can use iconv for sanity checks, cecause it will choke on illegal chars
(that's why I use windows-1252!).

Masi