[TYPO3-core] The installer, the charset and the DB

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Fri Jun 30 09:53:46 CEST 2006

Hi!

Michael Stucki wrote:
> Who is using 3.23 anymore? Maybe we should wait until Debian ends support of
> Woody. I'm not 100% sure but think that all major distributions switched to
> 4.x more than two years ago. (MySQL 4.0 was released in March 2003)

There are still servers out there who use PHP 4.2.x and MySQL 3.23. But
this is not a reason to stay with such old versions. It only complicates
code updates.

> How did you convert your DB? According to Peter this works pretty easy using
> "mysqldump" and "mysql --charset utf8".

I also though so 8-) Most characters were converted but some does not. I
tried several other solutions (like changing collates) but they did not
work either. I had to stick with old solution (utf8 content in latin1
db) but I am going to experiment with it a bit further soon because this
is the only site, which is working this old way and I cannot switch
mysql to utf-8 completely due to this single site. But site has over
3500 pages and it is very popular here, so I cannnot just throw it away :)

> It is not needed if MySQL uses UTF-8. However it is still possible that 4.x
> could be running with ISO-8859-1, and in this case multiplyDBfieldSize is
> still useful. ( => not sure! am I right about this?)

Probably I did not do any good when I set it to two on all new sites
that use utf-8 on utf-8 db :(

> Btw. as I've mentioned earlier already, the option breaks some stuff for
> example the creation of the sys_refindex table during install! The reason for
> this is that TYPO3 changes a varchar field into a text, which however can't
> be part of the key anymore (which is the case for sys_refindex).

I think I fixed this by specifying size in the index for this field.
Something like:
	index 'aaa' (field1, field2, textfield(80))
This is better than nothing.

>>> - Add a big fat warning if the database doesn't run with UTF-8 support
>> But to let user switch it off. I still see compatibility warning each
>> time when I login to BE and *I HATE IT!*
>
> Any idea how to solve that?

Push Sebastian very hard to fix corresponding bug in the compatibility
wizard :D (Sebastian, do not become offended, I am just joking!) Bug is
in the bug tracker since 4.0rc1 I think. I could fix it myself but I am
doing TV stuff most of the time and Sebastian knows this area much
better than I.

Dmitry.