[TYPO3-core] RFC: Fix FE user login for DBAL

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Wed Jun 28 09:54:50 CEST 2006

Karsten Dambekalns schrieb:

>>I've seen in in your other patch something to the effect of "let's not
>>use NOT NULL at all". Cannot say I like it. NOT NULL makes sense. In
>>fact NULL values should IMHO be avoided in the DB.
>
> Yes, sure. All the NOT NULL fields *only* work currently on MySQL, because
> *all* fields *always* have a default value in MySQL, even if none is given
> explicitly. (I guess I explained that a dozen times by now, here and on other
> lists).

By but why don't we make it a rule that NOT NULL *must* have a default
value? The installer may remove NOT NULL if no default has been specified,
but could issue a warning (or perhaps the EM could do so in the extension
info).

But the real issue is that I cannot insert/update '' on a NOT NULL column
in Oracle. *sigh* So NOT NULL and DEFAULT '' don't work together.

If I understand you correctly, you think that NOT NULL is pointless anyway
and so can go. I think that its has some merits and should be used when
possible (has a DEFAULT in Mysql, has a non ''-DEFAULT in Oracle, etc).

If TYPO3 breaks, then it is an error in the column/field definition (or the
plain INSERT statement).

Masi