[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug 2462: dummy-package misses some typo3temp directories

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Thu Jun 8 11:02:29 CEST 2006

Hi Dmitry,

> Michael Stucki wrote:
> > Upon installation of the dummy-4.0b2-package Typo3 complains about some
> > missing paths within the typo3temp directory.
>
> Why we simply cannot have these directories in corresponding tar file?
> Or tar does not allow empty directories?

Of course it does, but did you know that you can create the dummysite
structure without having the dummysite archive? It's just a set of
directories and files that have to be created. In this case it is a lot
better when directories are created on demand.

> > No need to ship those directories with the dummysite. Instead, just
> > create them on demand.
>
> My opinion is opposite :) Much better if the whole structure is inside
> dummy package. Creating on demand may face file system permissions and
> show errors to [non-technical] users. Probably, this is not the best way.

If your TYPO3 can't write to typo3temp/ then you have much bigger problems
anyway... ;-)

- michael

PS: btw, the problem is just a cosmetical one anyway. If you ignore the error
messages in the install tool and directly visit the backend or frontend, then
the directories would be created on demand _already_! The problem was simply
that this was not done in the install tool, where the error message confuses
people of course...