[TYPO3-core] UTF-8 for filenames

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Thu Jun 8 09:53:32 CEST 2006

Michael Stucki schrieb:
> Hi Martin,

>>>It should be possible to use them, I recently ran into problems caused
>>>by this. Whether it is feasible to make it possible in the code, I
>>>can't tell. :/
>>>
>>>If there is more than the two of us wanting that, it should get a
>>>closer look, though!
>>
>>I'm willing to help. I have no urgent need for it, but it's on my wishlist
>>for 4.1.
>

> I think this is related with the problem I was pointing out in last January:
> http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-team-core/2006-January/001744.html
>
> It is pretty difficult to find out the charset of the filesystem, therefore
> we will need one more forceCharset setting only for the filesystem :-(

Yes. I always intended to create a config switch for enableing UTF-8 in the
filesystem. But I think that we don't need to support arbitrary charsets.
ASCII and UTF-8 should be sufficient. I know that you can create filenames
on the shell with any charset you like, but that's really going to be
trouble. It's not worth the effort. UTF-8 is fine because it can be sent
straigth into any URL.

Masi