[TYPO3-core] RFC: (urgent for 4.0.1) DoS when processing non-existing 404 page

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Fri Jul 28 15:10:25 CEST 2006

Hi!

This is SVN patch request.

Problem: DoS will occur if
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['FE']['pageNotFound_handling'] is configured to use
non-existing URL at the current site. The same page will be requested
again and again, increasing memory and loading CPU a lot. Problem exists
only for 4.0.1, previous versions are safe.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Set this in your localconf.php:
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['FE']['pageNotFound_handling'] = '/index.php?id=99999';
2. Request non-existing page
3. Try to operate your computer (if you can!)
Do not try it on a live or shared server though.

Solution: check for recursion by comparing current and 404 urls. If they
match, produce standard error box instead of error page.

This patches also fixes two small things in that function:
1. removes many 'exit' calls and places only one at the end of function
2. corrects one of error messages not to show 'Error' twice.

Dmitry.