[TYPO3-core] SVN branches & stuff

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Thu Jul 20 15:22:15 CEST 2006

Hi Wolfgang,

>  I think we need a common strategy where to develop, where to try out
>  new things, where to fix bugs, what to merge
>  between what branches. I haven't seen that yet(?)
>
>  I see no sense in always committing _everything_ to trunk _and_ the
>  4_0 branch.

Here I agree. I think it was bad to start committing things to both
branches. It would have been sufficant to commit them to the branch only.
As far as I can see, _every_ change of TYPO3_4-0 is also in Trunk already.
So in fact, a merge of TYPO3_4-0 into Trunk would have been much easier.

So let's just do it better next time.

>  I spent some time researching on this topic.
>
>  We should develop in trunk, at some point we say we want to release
>  a new version, so we create a new branch 4_0_2, some of us work on that
>  to "finish" it, while new stuff is still developed in trunk; if 4_0_2 is
>  ready to be released we tag it, merge the changes from this branch with
>  trunk (not continuously but only here!) and continue to work in trunk;
>  if we need to bugfix 4_0_2 we create a 4_0_2-bugfix branch and do the
>  same as above.

I disagree about the versions. If 4_0_2 is a branch then 4_0_3 will also be
a branch, again splitted from Trunk. This will not work, especially because
Trunk already contains some new features.
Our current policy is to use one branch per release. This is TYPO3_4-0 and
it will be used for all 4.0.x versions.

Combining this with your above suggestion: We should not have touched Trunk
with any bugfixes that went into TYPO3_4-0. Instead, I would simply have
merged all differences between TYPO3_4-0-0 and TYPO3_4-0-1 (these are both
tags inside the branch) back into Trunk.

>  And not "one" experimental branch, but one for each feature, e.g.
>  "exp-workspaces" branch... btw. we need a naming convention too...
>
>  branches/RB-TYPO3_4_0_2  ... Release Branch
>  branches/BF-TYPO3_4_0_1  ... BugFix Branch
>  branches/EXP-WORKSPACES ... Experimental Branch for "Workspaces"
>  tags/REL-TYPO3_4_0_1 ... Release tag

This sounds like real overkill to me! :-)

>  But the main problem I see currently is that none of the developers who
>  create new "big" features (Kasper & Co.) use the repository while they
>  are working (but only when they finish development).
>
>  Any feedback and comments appreciated so we can define a strategy we can
>  all agree on.

I suggest that we discuss things like this in Dietikon. Agreed?

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out