[TYPO3-core] Please, advise me about [not] using TSConfig

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Fri Jan 13 19:15:50 CET 2006

Hi Dmitry,

> I think about providing a patch to bug repositoty for TemplaVoila that
> allows to extend its list of rendering types. For those, who do not
> know, rendering types let define various visual representations for the
> same data. This is very useful if the same data must be displayed
> differently on various parts of the site (for example, full and short
> product descriptions).
>
> Currently it is not possible to add new rendering types without making
> an extension and modifying $TCA in that extension, which is not a clear
> way.
>
> Thus I though about using TSConfig + callback function to analyze it and
> add rendering types to $TCA using itemProcFunc. Having reread discussion
> about default language, I got a feeling that use of TSConfig is
> discouraged. Am I right? If yes, I have to look for other ways. If no,
> it will be easy to users: they will just add TSConfig for TemplaVoila
> and get rendering types in the list without need to write extensions.
>
> Among others I especially want to hear from Michael and Robert because
> they were not happy about using TSConfig in that default language
> discussion.

I don't think it is discouraged. I just don't like to access it in the
Frontend because I see TSconfig as a backend specific thing.

I know that there is the TSFE TLO in Page TSconfig, but have a look at how
few options it has. IMHO it should be rather removed than extended!

Since your feature is BE related, I see no problems with it!

Regards, michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out