[TYPO3-core] RFC: Advanced BE search form

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Fri Feb 24 19:13:06 CET 2006

Hi Sebastian,

>>> * it would be nice if "Advanced query" was the default when "full
>>>  search" is selected. I know this breaks BW "compatibility" up to
>>>  a certain extent, but it is a new feature which should be
>>> "promoted".
>>
>> Can still be changed, but I didn't do that yet. Personally I think
>> that the quick search is easier for short lookups, therefore I'm
>> fine with the way it works currently.
>
> What do you think of adding a short note to the normal search "If more
> advanced queries are needed, please use the ....."?
> I fear that the new functionality won't be used which would be a pity.

It has always been hidden. I see your point but will not do it. My first
priority is to get this patch into CVS, after that you can make such
optimisations on your own.

> I have some more comments:
>
>     * There is an issue with versioning/workspaces. For example, if
>       you have a page versioned, all versions of the page appear. It
>       would be nice to have a checkbox which adds "AND pid != -1" to
>       the page which is enabled by default. I think in normal mode it
>       makes sense to hide versioned records.

Dito.

>     * The two "undelete" icons are missing - make sure you have them

Yes.

>     * The icons right to each query part -  where you can delete it,
>       refresh etc. comes always directly after the input fields. It
>       would be nice to have some border of maybe 5px before it, and
>       have it aligned on the right side in every case.

Will do.

>     * The label for the icon to collapse a level has the title
>       "collapse level" - I think it would be nice to have "delete
>       sublevels" instead. When it is called "collapse", I expect a
>       non-destructive action.

Not sure, will look at it.

> So - it works really fluently already, these are just minor changes I
> think. Great work :-)
>
> I am looking forward to see it in the final release!

Thanks so much Sebastian for your great feedback.

Conclusion: Joey has spend a huge amount of hours, myself at least 10 hours
more, and Sebastian has had a deep look at it. However, since the patch is
so bug, I fear that nobody else will look at it.

May I ask you to accept the patch without looking at it, expecting that
Sebastian did a good job?! :-)

Thanks in advance!
- michael
--