[TYPO3-core] Fixing no-brainers?

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Mon Apr 10 13:33:13 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Dmitry Dulepov <dima at spamcop.net> writes on Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:50:46
>> Finally it all will come to rewriting typo3 from scratch and
>> releasing version "Typo3 2007" in year 2010 ;)
>

> Ay, Michael's approach ist tempting, but Dmitry may be right.

I'm not proposing a rewrite from scratch. We can take parts of TYPO3
core, sysexts, etc. and overhaul them separately and incrementally if
we're not bound to a big-bang release which would force us into another
6 months of bugfixing-only bonanza.
  Maybe some parts need less work than others, some might require a lot.
What'd be the problem if everyone fixes their favorites (or rather:
removes the most hated stuff first)?

> But if the UI overhaul is moved from 4.5 to 5.0 we might end up not
> only with 4.1 (as asked by myself) but perhaps an 4.2. Not that I
> would worry about that. In fact as 5.0 will require PHP5 I ask for a
> long-lived 4.x branch after 5.0 as not everyone will do the jump into
> a refactored Core with new requirements and changed setup (we do plan
> to remove deprectaed stuff, don't we?).

I fully support that. What's wrong with 4.2 or 4.3? The 2.4 kernel still
lives and 2.6 has been out for 3(?) years... In fact, an UI-only update
would be just as much a not-backward-compatible change as a new API. All
the training for BE users would have do be done again, etc. Corporate
customers hate that just as much as any other major change.

> Masi
>
> PS: How about requiring Mysql 4.0 or even 4.1 to take advantage of if
> it's more standard-SQL-like features?

Fine with me. Standard-SQL is the way to go.

Cheers,
Michael