[TYPO3-core] Fixing no-brainers?

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Mon Apr 10 12:08:07 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:

> This might be true very well. I'm not too familiar with the code but
> I think you're right that a new UI means a refactoring of the code
> prior to the bug refactoring.

The difficulty is that refactoring TYPO3 core is hard without proper
unit tests. Adding unit tests for 500-line-functions is more work than
writing the damn thing from scratch using the current code as a spec only.
Even Robert and Kasper have agreed that some components are too complex
to maintain (think workspaces on top of the already-heavy TCEstuff).

> But do you really think that everythings lost in 5.0?

No, but I think a roadmap that demands UI and usability changes *first*
and after that complete rewrite of the core, is essentially prone to
wasting developers' time and effort.

We now have a feature complete *classic* TYPO3 that may well and
gracefully end the whole 3.x/4.x development line. Why not start the UI
*and* code cleanup now, release a few development releases until 2007
and allow both architectural and UI changes, as they belong together.

On to the dev list, really!

Michael