[TYPO3-core] Fixing no-brainers?

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Mon Apr 10 11:54:05 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:

> Then simething IS broken with our update mechanism. Upgrading from
> x.x.N to x.x.N+1 should be jus a matter of changig the
> source-symlink!

Multiply this with the number of sites * the number of 4.0.x updates ;)

> Why? Think of someting big as verisioning or any refactoring. You
> cannot commit this to the CVS bit-by-bit without breakig the tree. So
> you have to do a big-bang landing on the HEAD.
>
> Of course you could work alone on your own tree at home, but I gather
> that we want to cooperate efforts. So in my opionion it'd be fine if
> we head one branch with strictly UI.overhaul changes (and NO other
> changes at all!) that gets merged into HEAD again after 4.1.

After staring long and hard at TCEMAIN and TCEFORMS I've come to the
conclusion that there'll be not UI overhaul without massive changes in
code. In the worst case, we'll change the old code to output more
userfriendly HTML and we throw all that away with 5.0 because we start
anew...

This should be continued in the dev list, or in an R&D meeting...

Greetings,
Michael