[TYPO3-core] Fixing no-brainers?

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Mon Apr 10 11:32:49 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Let's start with fixing a couple of urgent stuff in 4.0.1 and
> possibly 4.0.2. Better have a 4.0.1 in one week and 4.0.2 after that
> in three weeks than only one 4.0.1 in two months.

Unless there's really urgent security or blocker (EM not working, etc.)
bugs, I'd rather not release 4.0.x too often because updating is a pain.

> Then target an intermediate 4.1 that will mainly clean up and
> streamline stuff of the new features. I think that a widespread use
> of eg workspaces will bring up some issues that need polishing. This
> release should not very far from now. Perhaps 3 to 6 months from now.

Ack. I'd rather have this sooner than later, with all major bugs fixed
and the notorious 4.0 killer features stabilized.

> Parallel to 4.1 we could work on the BE UI overhaul that's the goal
> for 4.5. I think we should in this case don't work on HEAD, but in
> either a branch or on local systems so the tree doesn't get
> destabilized. Since these changes will be major and will take more
> time I suggest work on this will be started before the release of 4.1
> (hence the new development[!] branch that is to be merged into HEAD).

I'm not sure I agree with this. What do we have head for if both
bugfixing and the 4.5 stuff go into branches? With the new roadmap
things will get very complicated if we really want a big-bang 4.5
release with no intermediate steps. Why shouldn't we continue in HEAD,
the CVS guidelines are strict, so we can expect that nothing will break.

Greetings,
Michael