[TYPO3-core] RFC: version numbers

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Fri Dec 30 15:11:56 CET 2005

Hi Michael,

On Thursday 29 December 2005 17:29, Michael Stucki wrote:

 > > Please make sure that the version number in the emconf is at least the
 > > version in TER when you commit to CVS. What I did with TemplaVoila was
 > > setting it (manually) to 0.5.0CVS. But don't add a suffix like I did
 > > ("CVS"), "0.5.0" would have been better.
 >
 > Maybe this is again the reason why system extensions should not go into
 > TER. If you still add it, you have to deal with the consequences on your
 > own.

Sorry, but I don't agree. Let's take the TYPO3 core as an example. Whenever we
start working on the next version, we increase the version number in the CVS
version to x.0.0dev. So what's wrong with doing the same with our system
extensions?

 > Robert: Again, please make sure that all system extensions cannot be
 > downloaded from TER unless the author explicitely wants that (for now I
 > think this applies only to DBAL and rtehtmlarea (if Stan wants so).

The only way I see for doing that is deleting all versions (including all
previous versions) from the TER. There is no way to hide certain extension
versions (in TER2) and I don't feel very much like implementing such a
feature.

So, what's wrong with uploading all system extensions to the TER (with a
script) when we release a new TYPO3 version and taking care of the sysext's
version number manually?

robert

--
Robert Lemke
TYPO3 Association - Research & Development