[TYPO3-core] RFC: CSS styled content accessibility mode

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Dec 19 00:28:03 CET 2005

Hi Sebastian,

I had a look at your patch but didn't test it yet. Before I do that, I have
some questions to you:

First of all: Why do you increase the version number in ext_emconf.php?
I see a very general problem coming here: We decided to drop the system
extensions from TER, but this would mean that their version numbers would
normally never increase from now on. How will we proceed with that?

> Short description:
>       * accessible_tables has been included into core with this

So what does that mean? Is accessible_tables now integrated with
css_styled_content? Is the original extension going to be dropped?

Some lines down you write:

> Long description:
>       * accessible tables
>               * the update wizard for accessible_tables will be
>                 published in a final version of the accessible_table
> 		extension - all data can be used in the updated
> 		css_styled_content

What is this final version meant for when it is already a part of the core?

>       * standard behavor not modified
>       * accessibility mode added: changes menu, mailforms and removes
>         the p-tag inside cells (lots of people requested this)

> By default, there is no change in the behavior of CSS styled content,
> but by switching on the constant ACCESSIBILITY = 1, the accessible menu
> and mailform will be activated, and the <p>-Tag is removed from table
> cells.

Fine but: I suggest to get rid of the ACCESSIBILITY constant before you even
start to advertise it. Why should one not want this?

If you decide to keep it, then I suggest to enable this constant as well as
the accessibility flag for FORM objects both by default. I know this may
conflict with the backwards compatiblity, but we should focus on proper
instead of unchanged output.

>       * It is as well possible to change the splitChar in tables now:
>         | , and ; possible - and cells can be escaped by " and '. The
>
>         wizard had to be adjusted to work with this change.

First, I think you forgot to add the wizard changes to the patch. Can you send
them again, please?

About the delimiters: I suggest you add the tab character here.

>       * accessible menu/sitemap from Ben
>       * accessible mailform configuration

What does it mean? What is going to be changed by it? Will it break an
existing layout? See above regarding switching this on by default.

> This patch is a major step towards XHTML compliancy and accessibility.
> Another patch will follow soon integrating css_imgtext.

Make sure you mention this in the NEWS.txt file.

Thumbs up for your good work so far!

Regards, michael