[TYPO3-v4] Minutes of the 10th meeting of the 4.7 Release Team

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Mon Jan 30 21:11:15 CET 2012

Hi Steffen,

thanks for your response!

>> What's with all the other BLE tasks?
>
> What exactly do yo mean?
> - the whole Frontend/Accessibility stuff is already integrated
> - external Extensions have been releases do TER
What external extensions? The FAL adapters?

> The one outstanding Topic is the Console-Application. Which indeed is a
> standalone product which would need an init.php Refactoring which Oliver
> Hader did...
> This would has been working for the time of the BLE close-up. The
> reasons why Olly never pushed it to Gerrit are ? I do not know :P
Yes, and what's with the ominous t3lib_Core? We've been waiting for the
unique request ID in the logging project (don't know, what else should
come with t3lib_Core besides the CLI interface).

> Then there are Grid-Elements. Which are finished and released to TER.
> There are plans about an Screencast by the new Team and some Buzz around
> it which Ben is organizing as well as the plan to move the Drag&Drop
> stuff to Core.
Yes, exactly! Drag&Drop for the Page module is totally overdue! It
worked back in 2009 at the T3UXW09! That was more than two years ago and
it still hasn't been brought into the core! So many people are crying
because we don't have such a feature.

> There has been an opposition on putting the Extenion itself to to Core -
> as TV never got sysext, too. But I think that is fine... Not everyone
> needs Flexible Content Elements.
Everyone needs them. Not everyone needs a linkvalidator or a console
interface, but everyone needs FCEs ;)

> Then there's only the Logging project left which to me seems to make
> good progress and would be a candidate for at least integration of the
> lowlevel API. But Steffen Müller told me that you are not up to put
> anything into the Core for 4.7, yet.
No, we will not bring this to 4.7. We want to do it right. That's why we
discuss 10x more than we code.
Everything looks pretty fine and is working, but we will not rush during
the next two weeks. But a few important things are missing (BE module,
replacement of *all* old API calls, profiling).
SteffenM was very busy until Christmas and I wasn't so motivated for
core work (as I did mostly server team work and because of some other
demotivating factors.. well, you read it here between the lines).

> Well: "FAL" is written shortly, behind the scenes there are hundreds (if
> not thousands) of lines of Code. What seemed like an "small and doable"
> job in the end got quite a big project, including many new TypoScript
> options, TypoScript Objects, Typolink syntax, possiblities with files
> and so on... So even if it looks "small" there will be much around.
Who thought that it's a small project? Did somebody really expect that?
IMHO it's a major step for TYPO3v4, I count it even that valuable that
it would justify to increase the major version number!

> Looking at the pending stuff for FAL-branch which already is in Gerrit
> since weeks and noone looked at it I wonder how the really big parts
> should get through if the authors of the different parts not just vote
> for each other?
I just checked it out again to try the YouTube link compatibility. But
what should I expect, if it directly ends up in a
> Class Tx_File_BackwardsCompatibility_TslibContentAdapter not found

Of course, no one is able to review FAL just within a weekend or so.
That's why it is coded in a team and can then be merged directly, as - I
hope so - everybody somehow reviewed and tested the other's code.
That's why I stay on track with Logging - although I don't work too much
for it - in order to make it kind of a "FYI72 merge".

> We started with a vision and arrived in Reality. That's hard, but I
> think this is a lesson you have to learn in a unpayed community driven
> ecosystem.
That sounds very philosophic. Funny fun fact: BLE is payed work. So I
expect those projects to be finished in time and to get reviewed by
other participants. That's not the first time I say this. I really
expect that from those, who were not available for 4.6, as they were
working for 4.7. We've seen similar things after the T3UXW, where 3-4
people brought everything into Core, which was created by 30 as a
proof-of-concept during a luxury week, and we now also see this with the
T3O-relaunch. People have been invited for one week of fun and aren't
available anymore afterwards.
BLE is paid work. Just paid like customer projects. So please do it
right and finish your job.

Besides the BLE scope: Yes.. nobody can be forced to do anything. I
don't know when we've seen that more clearly than within the last
months. But I still miss any action to "wake people (=our team) up".
As long there is no action by others, nobody gets motivated (at least I
don't).

Kind regards
Steffen

- --
Steffen Gebert
TYPO3 v4 Core Team Member
TYPO3 Server Administration Team Member

I work for TYPO3 solely in my spare time. If you think that
my work helps you running your business, you are invited to
send me a donation via PayPal to this email address. Thanks