[TYPO3-v4] Adding labels in stable releases

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Thu Jan 26 17:30:30 CET 2012

Hi,

> I have a question regarding "translation labels", now that we have
> Pootle and the new translation system based on XLIFF:
>
> I want to backport this change (master):
>
> https://review.typo3.org/7040
>
> To 4.6 and 4.5. It fixes the report module to display "unlimited" when
> "memory_limit=-1".
>
> The string "unlimited" needs to be translated and thus will be added by
> this bug fix. So backporting this change will add a new label to be
> translated.
>
> Question: is this ok?

This is the way it works since the beginning. Actually, we don't have
any concept of "version", we have a huge list of all labels present in
all versions of the Core (same for extensions).

> My personal answer: adding new labels in any release (even stable) is
> *ok*. Changing or removing existing labels is (still) *no-go*.

Exactly. Removing a label means it won't be available anymore for
translation and will disappear from other translations for older releases.

> Adding new labels in stable releases has to be considered with care, as
> usually people won't be updating their translations after a patch-level
> update. In this particular situation displaying "unlimited" (English) is
> still better than displaying wrong information.

Are you sure? People are used to update their translations from times to
times, to get typo fixes for instance, or better translations coming
over time.

> As this will be backported to 4.5 also, the new label will be added to
> the locallang.xml file there. I hope it will then also "come from the
> translation system", once it's translated in Pootle.

Yes!

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6