[TYPO3-v4] Adding labels in stable releases

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Jan 26 16:36:29 CET 2012

Hi,

I have a question regarding "translation labels", now that we have
Pootle and the new translation system based on XLIFF:

I want to backport this change (master):

https://review.typo3.org/7040

To 4.6 and 4.5. It fixes the report module to display "unlimited" when
"memory_limit=-1".

The string "unlimited" needs to be translated and thus will be added by
this bug fix. So backporting this change will add a new label to be
translated.

Question: is this ok?

My personal answer: adding new labels in any release (even stable) is
*ok*. Changing or removing existing labels is (still) *no-go*.

Adding new labels in stable releases has to be considered with care, as
usually people won't be updating their translations after a patch-level
update. In this particular situation displaying "unlimited" (English) is
still better than displaying wrong information.

As this will be backported to 4.5 also, the new label will be added to
the locallang.xml file there. I hope it will then also "come from the
translation system", once it's translated in Pootle.