[TYPO3-v4] The future of ExtJS 4 in TYPO3 4.7

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 12 18:43:54 CET 2012

Hi,

On 11-1-2012 16:47, Oliver Hader wrote:

It's very sad to say, but the current state of the core 4.7-dev with
regard to the use of ExtJS is simply not at a level where we can expect
that it will be good enough for a beta in a few weeks. This is probably
mainly due to the lack of ExtJS experts.

The choices you proposed (which are completely logical!) are like
choosing between two evils: either losing functionality all over the
place or losing new developments.

In this light the suggestion of Olivier seems like a good third option
to investigate. If Sencha is willing to provide help with migrating the
"rest" of the core to ExtJS4 this would mean that we can easily keep the
new developments. The enthusiasm of the ExtJS guys a few T3CONs ago
almost suggested that they liked it very much that TYPO3 used their JS
framework.

While it is understandable that it must not be nice for the developers
of the new components to learn that they will not be included in this
form in this release, it's also understandable that we can't release a
new version where a lot of existing features don't function any more.

One more that worries me about ExtJS4 is this quote from [1]:
"While 4.1 is clearly a big improvement over 4.0, it is not yet as fast
across the board as 3.4"
We've been trying hard to improve the speed of the TYPO3 backend because
it feels slow to people. Using ExtJS4 will not improve the (perceived)
speed, I'm afraid.

For the future of JS in the TYPO3 core it seems that we need some hybrid
solution.
AFAIK ExtJS can run on top of for example jQuery. This would only safe
default (as desired by many I guess). To keep the BE a bit "light" on
prototype / scriptaculous / mootools / YUI / etc.

 From posts by Olly I conclude that only "vidi" depends on ExtJS4. If
the release managers team after thoroughly testing think it's ready to
go in the core, except for the modifications to run with ExtJS3 we could
give it until beta2 to see if it can be shipped with 4.7.
I don't like exceptions for the feature freeze, but in the light of this
change back to ExtJS3 it seems reasonable.

[1] http://www.sencha.com/blog/whats-new-in-ext-js-4-1/

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.