[TYPO3-v4] The future of ExtJS 4 in TYPO3 4.7

Oliver Hader oliver.hader at typo3.org
Thu Jan 12 17:44:34 CET 2012

Hey François,

Am 12.01.12 17:16, schrieb François Suter:
> One question: what's the impact for the BLE stuff if we go back to ExtJS
> 3? You seemed to say that the ExtJS 4 migration was not related, so I
> guess it's ok, right?

For the BLE project we made the promise to have file abstraction layer
and media management. Then we aimed to have a rewritten filelist module
to be based on Vidi - and Vidi then was based on ExtJS 4.

So, Vidi and ExtJS 4 are the things that we wanted to do back then, but
have not been part of the contract. So, Vidi can be kept, but needs
changes for ExtJS 3 thou...

> I could see a couple of other alternatives:
>
> 1) for a long time now we have been blocked in terms of version
> management by the 4+1 ceiling on our major version number. This has
> limited us to major versions (number 4.x) and maintenance releases. We
> have lost the possibility to make minor releases, which could contain
> smaller features. With regards to the current problem, the ExtJS 4
> migration could be targeted at the 4+1.0.0 branch (which I'm explicitly
> not calling "5" ;-) ), while some other features could go into the 4.7.0
> branch.

Ha! :) Well yeah, valid point and also in terms of changing APIs and
requirements. But I think it's not late to turn TYPO3 4.7 into a
(4+1).0.0-style release. We think about "4.8" being such a release with
reduced backward compatibility and follow that goal from the very
beginning of the development then.

> 2) the above scenario is very desirable in the longer term IMO, but may
> not be possible in the short term. Hence we could also decide to
> postpone 4.7 by a fixed and reasonable amount of time. Say 3 months.
> This would be considered as pseudo-feature freeze where new features
> would not be allowed except as they relate to the BLE project.

Now that the release date was pre-announced, I think we should keep it -
on the other hand of course the world won't hesitate to turn if we do
not. You made a valid point with the "time to breathe" and well, just
look at how we handled the "6 months in the past":

* TYPO3 4.3: 11/2009
* TYPO3 4.4: 06/2010 (after 7 months)
* TYPO3 4.5: 01/2011 (after 7 months)
* TYPO3 4.6: 10/2011 (after 9 months)
* TYPO3 4.7: 04/2012 (after 6 months - first time!)

Cheers,
Olly
--
Oliver Hader