[TYPO3-v4] The future of ExtJS 4 in TYPO3 4.7

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Thu Jan 12 12:08:16 CET 2012

Hi Olivier,

we've had the contact with Sencha guys before, but the general model of
development on their end hasn't changed.

The problems a lot of core developers noted in the beginning, i.e. that
their development model is a pretty closed shop, with necessary bugfix
releases not being published and no way for the OpenSource community to
supply fixes or even see the version control system hasn't gone away.
Adding on to it, the problems with ExtJS 4 are major, and the
architectural changes it brought have made huge work on our side
necessary to keep up with it. We have gone quite far down that road and
still haven't arrived anywhere useful.

What I would take as a conclusion is that we shouldn't make ourselves
dependent on it any more. It's OK to use it for some widgets, and with
TYPO3 4.8 we should take the excellent work on the migration from 3 to 4
that is done so far and integrate the bits where it makes sense.

At the same time, however, I would like to see a strategy switch away
from it for the overall Backend layout, as that is a use-case that is
much better and more cleanly accomplished with a lightweight,
progressive enhancement-like library.

cheers
Ingmar