[TYPO3-templavoila] TemplaVoila future...

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sun Jun 9 17:11:20 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 9-6-2013 15:50, Philipp Gampe wrote:
> TYPO3 is a do-ocracy: http://www.communitywiki.org/DoOcracy
> So just go ahead if you think that some area needs work.

Where is that stated? Besides, "doing" shouldn't be limited to
programming only. Contributions in concept, vision, design, testing,
documenting, answering questions, marketing, etc. are also valuable to
me and a lot of others.

> IMHO the problem with TV is not that it is easy to use, but the lag of
> support from those who use it.

Maybe the reason is that the target audience for TV was the less
technical integrator? Without extensive programming knowledge it's
possible to implement designs.
I don't expect a lot of patches from those people, while they are the
main group that uses the extension.

> Also it never really archived to port its concepts to the core, resulting in
> double work for features both in TV and core.

Flexforms, BE layouts are in the core. Besides, why should the concepts
be included in the core? The reason for having these functionalities in
an extension is to keep the core as light as possible and to give
integrators a choice in what to use (marker templates, automaketemplate,
TemplaVoilà, Fluid page templates, fedext extensions, etc.). The core
only supplies the basic functionality (marker substitution and fluid
engine), the extension creates a usable feature based on that.

Maybe you're also not aware of the fact that Kasper created both
automaketemplate and TemplaVoilà as extensions to keep the functionality
of extensions and core separated.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor