[TYPO3-templavoila] Help needed with creating a main menu

Manfred Palmer admin at silverpark.net
Wed May 12 21:19:15 CEST 2010

On 12.05.2010 15:53, Tyler Kraft wrote:
> Hi Manfred,
>

>> Just to give you an idea..
>>
>> http://www.silverpark.net/pub_img/m02/excelfile_weblinks.gif
>>
>> http://www.silverpark.net/pub_img/m02/excelfile_code_snippets.gif
>
> I hate to sound rude but isn't this just essentially TSref? Ok and a
> little bit of TSconfig.... Maybe instead of creating your own just use
> those two documents ;-)
>

> hth

It's ok, no worries. ;)

I agree that every piece of information can probably be found in TSRef
somewhere, but the official Typoscript documentation is quite extensive
and each chapter comes with a lot of explanatory text, rather than pure
command syntax, along with say 1 or 2 usage examples.

I just find it easier to look up information, if it's kept short and
accessible (as you can see on the "code snippets" screenshot).

However, I did not create that Excel-Library just to keep track of some
web links or tutorials. For that purpose you could just bookmark those
websites and access them from your internet browser. ;)

A few years ago I basically got into the habit of managing bigger
projects by first creating an Excel- or MS Project-file, where I would
store any important information, ideas & concepts in one place.

Among other things, I use this particular file to keep track of
statistics, Typo3 settings, file paths, a "ToDo"-List and more
importantly, any modifications I have made to Typo3, in order to make
troubleshooting easier.

I copy & paste all error logs & install logs into the file and maintain
a section dedicated to core modules & extensions, where I note down
which extensions collide with others, what their dependencies are,
what's changed in recent versions and what users write about common
problems and workarounds.

It may be time-consuming, but for me personally it is more important to
have all relevant information available on demand, in a format I am
comfortable working with.

When you have to work on different projects simultaneously, it's
important to stay organized. In the long run, it's well worth the
effort. Well, at least for me it is. :)

Best,
Manfred