[TYPO3-templavoila] Meta Charset rendered twice in header

Joerg Wagner [DigiLog] news.netfielders.de at digilog.de
Sat Jan 9 09:23:52 CET 2010

Happy new year to all of you!

I just figured that my TYPO3 installations with newer versions of TV
render the MetaCharset line twice in the HTML head. After some testing I
found the reason:

The first line (right at the top of the head is a standard TYPO3 header
element. It contains "iso-9959-1" by default but can be switched by using...
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['forceCharset'] = 'utf-8';
in localconf.php. (Sidenote: Astonishingly this header element is NOT
switched to UTF-8 when setting renderCharset and metaCharset to "utf-8"
in TS Setup! *weird*).
The second MetaCharset line stems from my TV page template. I activated
all the headers when mapping the template. I do this since TV is able to
recognize IE's conditional stylesheet comments - so this is the reason
why I observe this effect only with newer TYPO3 websites.

Now my question:
I can easily switch off the charset header in the TV mapping, but
shouldn't TV overwrite the TYPO3 default header if the checkmark for
this head line is set? TV does so at least for the body tag: if it is
checked in the mapping dialog than the TYPO3 default body tag is replaced!

Cheers,
Jörg.