[TYPO3-templavoila] Best practice - 1 DS, many TO

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Thu Aug 21 09:03:18 CEST 2008

Hi!

Jan Bednarik wrote:
> I've started to use TV just recently, so I'm not sure about a lot of
> stuff. One thing that bothers me is that I've usually got about 3 or
> more TO with different content layout and when I want to change/add
> element that's common for all TO (such as footer, language selector), I
> need to go through all TO mappings and assign the new element manually.
> This gets really anoying with more than 3 TO. Is there a way how to add
> new element to DS easily without having to open all TO?

Two ways:
- use "Modify DS/TO" button
- edit DS XML manually

Adding a field to DS makes it available for evey TO associated with this DS

> Another thing is, that I start with one template, set all neccessary
> mapping. Then, I create another template and because I'm lazy, I copy
> the first template, so I don't have to set all common mapping again. The
> problem is, elements from first template, that are not present in the
> second template, give me warning, because they have their mapping set,
> but the element doesn't exist in the second template. And there's no way
> how to delete just some mappings and not all of them.

This question deserves to be in FAQ. Click "Ch.mode" and set mode to empty string.

TYPO3 Core team
In the blog: http://typo3bloke.net/pages/book-reviews/presentation-zen-by-garr-reynolds/